Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson



Will Grayson is average, going about his high school career as unnoticed as possible.  The only special thing about him, really, is his friendship with Tiny.  Tiny is huge and hugely, proudly gay.

Will Grayson is a loner, angry and unhappy and venemously antisocial.  The only thing he enjoys is talking with Isaac, a boy he met online and fell in love with.

When the Will Graysons accidentally meet one unhappy night in Chicago, their lives entertwine suprisingly.

Entertainment: ★★

This book was just... I don't know.  It had a cool cover and what sounded like a cool premise, plus I've read good things by both authors before.  Will Grayson, Will Grayson just seemed kind of... pointless.

Plot: ★★

Like I just said, there just wasn't much point to the plot.  And I couldn't bring myself to care about whether or not it would all end happily.  And when it did end, in a rather cliche way, I wasn't impressed.

Characters: ★

Will One was a wimp, Will Two was an emo wimp, Tiny was literally and figuratively larger than life (and not in a good way)... and the side characters were just boring.  I couldn't connect with any of them, and I didn't want to either.  And the "romance" was severely lacking on so many levels.

Writing: ★★★

I will say that I liked the distinction between the two characters' voices.  And WG,WG was actually fairly well written.  But not well enough to salvage the non-plot and bland characters.

End Result: two stars.  I wasn't impressed.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I think this is the first negative review I've read of WGWG anywhere! To be honest, I'm kind of glad... not because I want the book to be bad! But just because I get suspicious when EVERYONE gushes, you know?

    KH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean :)

    ReplyDelete